Palliative Care is NOT HOSPICE, rather it is an approach to care providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious, often life-threatening illness.
Some common illnesses treated by our Palliative Care Team include Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of Dementia, Cancer, Parkinson’s Disease, Heart Failure, Liver or Kidney Failure, COPD, and many others.
Our Palliative Care Team consists of healthcare professionals, social workers, spiritual counselors, and other specialists who work with the patient’s existing healthcare providers to provide relief – whatever the diagnosis. This extra layer of support is appropriate at any age, including Pediatric patients, and at any stage in the serious illness. In fact, you can involve Palliative Care upon your initial diagnosis. Palliative Care may be provided along with curative treatment (for example, alongside Chemotherapy).
Four Seasons is known for providing excellent provider-led Palliative Care, with fast response times, and high patient satisfaction.
Goals of Palliative Care
- Prevent frequent burdensome hospitalizations
- Optimize quality of life for you and your family
- Help you better understand your condition and your care choices
- Empower you and your family in managing complex illnesses
- Provide expert symptom management
- Improve your ability to go through medical treatments
- Allow extra time for communication
- Help in navigating the healthcare system